when your sewing project has to be put down for a little while.
Have you ever “failed” at a sewing project? Sometimes your project comes together all at once. You find a pattern then the perfect fabric (not your muslin but final garment fabric) then notions are easily procured. Sometimes it’s user error, sometimes its poor pattern fitting, this time it was a notions fail.
How I made stretch pull on jeans out of one of a kind ice dyed fabric.
I ice dyed some Cone Mills Denim natural color with a 20% stretch for these jeans you can read all about it here. Since I was essentially cutting into a piece of art, I made the fit version out of black denim also with 20% stretch from JoAnns. The quality in the two different denims was VERY noticeable.
The Cindy Swim Suit by BurdaStyle or my peek a boo suit
I made this swim suit long before I started blogging my sewing adventures so I have no photographic evidence, I’m pretty sure it was while I was still operating RitualBath, so blogging was natural bath and beauty related. However this swimsuit showed up in my inbox this morning and I wanted to write it a quick love note.
The Cindy from BurdaStyle, when that website was my only outlet for pdf on demand sewing patterns. Oh how far we have come my indies! First off I did have to grade this a bit as I was a size 16-18 at the time. I made it in a gorgeous burgundy swim lycra from JoAnn’s because I didn’t know any better at the time. Before I go into the problem areas and how I think they can be fixed let me just say, I felt SMOKIN HOT in this swim suit.
How I adjusted a pattern for my full belly and made them hang better. I also trouble shoot and stash bust thru my fabrics and notions.
I have a few pairs of the Colette patterns Iris Shorts and I kept making them because I altered the pattern for a full tummy making them comfortable and a quick sew. I will say that the front pocket placement isn’t the most flattering for anyone with a bit of a full Continue reading “Shorts with a full belly adjustment”
How I made a difference in dye value work in a finished garment.
I love silk noil or raw silk. I first found it when I was working at JoAnne’s Fabrics and I bought the entire bolt of tan 45”. I made wonderful wide leg drawstring pants out of it and a tank top. It had a great drape and being silk it just wore really well. It does have a bit of a Continue reading “Silk, Shibori and pattern hacking”
My beginning experience of making my own bras with PDF and paper patterns by independent designers.
So a while back the Watson bra and panty pattern came out. Or as I should call it my gate way drug into lingerie sewing. Since then it’s been:
“oh stretch lace!” “I need gold rings and sliders” or “I should really buy this five yards of sheer tricot in tan, I can use it lining laces”.
Pattern testing a cute tank top in woven cotton by Straight Stitch Design
This is my first Me Made May and I have been starting off with a bang. Here is my first well photographed outfit with only one item on my person from RTW.